Patch 12.17 of League of Legends is on its way, and it’s a big one as Riot shakes up the meta ahead of Worlds 2022. There are three major champion updates for Maokai, Miss Fortune, and Hecarim, but there are meta shifts throughout the map: here are the full patch notes.
As League of Legends teams around the world grinds their way to the biggest stage of all, excitement for Worlds 2022 is building. Riot is attempting to keep things fresh in-game in order to provide an exciting month of action, which is where League of Legends patch 12.17 comes in.
LoL patch 12.17 is the major meta shifter ahead of the World Championship, following a few smaller updates as regions complete their qualification processes. Three champions will be significantly overhauled — though not as drastically as the Udyr rework — and the mid-lane will see a number of changes to shake things up.
Patch 12.17 for League of Legends is set to go live on September 8, 2022, exactly on time. It is, however, a day later than the usual Wednesday release.
The seventeenth major patch of 2022 will begin updating on Oceanic servers at 10AM AEST, followed by a worldwide rollout throughout the day.
When patching begins, there will be a few hours of downtime, and matchmaking queues will be taken offline about three hours beforehand.
Major updates for Maokai, MF, and Hecarim
With mid-scope updates proving popular and Riot pushing for more, three more League of Legends champions will see significant changes in LoL patch 12.17. Maokai, Miss Fortune, and Hecarim’s changes aren’t quite mid-scope updates, but they’re close.
Maokai is being pushed out of support and across the map in top and jungle. This will come as a relief to Twisted Treant mains who have had to deal with his overloaded support kit forcing him into the bot lane for some time.
The updates made by Hecarim and Miss Fortune are intended to push their builds closer to their intended identities. Hecarim will be more of a bruiser brawling in the middle of team fights than a tank or assassin. Miss Fortune will also be encouraged to create more marksman-style items rather than the popular lethality build.
Mid-lane meta updates: Nerf Azir, Ahri, while Kassadin and TF are buffed
Riot has been tinkering with the League of Legends meta over the last few months, lane by lane. It started with some top lane changes to get away from tanks, followed by some bot lane changes to get rid of the high Zeri-Sivir priority at all levels of play.
The developer’s priority for Worlds 2022 is now the mid-lane. Riot is targeting five mid-lane champions with three nerfs and two buffs. Azir, Ahri, and Sylas are among those who fall into the former category, with Azir suffering the most damage-focused nerfs.
In terms of buffs, Twisted Fate and Kassadin will see some minor changes. Kassadin’s Q will cost less mana and have a shorter cooldown, whereas Twisted Fate’s Q will deal more damage, and W will cost less mana to get those empowered autos.
Updates to Stopwatch and Zhonya’s Hourglass — both becoming more expensive, but with more value placed on the entire item — could result in some variations in both mid-lane picks and how they are itemized.
New Zenith Games skins
The Zenith Games have arrived in Runeterra, and some of League of Legends’ most famous athletes are dressed to the nines. The new sports-themed skin line, which will be available in LoL patch 12.17, stars Blitzcrank, Jayce, and Lee Sin.
Each skin will come with eight additional Chroma cosmetics that differ from the standard darker tones.
Viego also has an unrelated skin dropping this update. It is called King Viego, and it transforms the Ruined King back into his human, Isolde-loving form before he was corrupted.
Patch 12.17 full update notes:
- Health: 570 ⇒ 550
- Charm duration: 1.4/1.55/1.7/1.85/2 seconds ⇒ 1.2/1.4/1.6/1.8/2 seconds
- AP ratio: 60% ⇒ 50%
E: Shifting Sands
- Cooldown: 19/18/17/16/15 seconds ⇒ 22/20.5/19/17.5/16 seconds
Passive: Adaptive Defenses
- Max health shield: 17% ⇒ 20%
- Bonus AD ratio: 75% ⇒ 90%
E: Arcane Shift
- Cooldown: 28/25/22/19/16 seconds ⇒ 26/23/20/17/14 seconds
Q: End of the Line
- Cooldown: 12/11/10/9/8 seconds ⇒ 13/11.5/10/8.5/7 seconds
R: Collateral Damage
- Damage: 250/400/550 ⇒ 275/425/575
- Damage: 60/90/120/150/180 (+90% bAD) ⇒ 60/85/110/135/160 (+95% bAD)
- Damage per stack: 25 (+3% per 100 bAD) ⇒ 4% (+6% per 100 bAD)
- Cooldown reduction per stack: 1 second ⇒ 0.75 seconds
- Maximum number of stacks: 2 ⇒ 3
- Stack falloff: All at duration end ⇒ 1 stack per second at duration end
- Mana cost: 28/31/34/37/40 ⇒ 30
W: Spirit of Dread
- [NEW] Hecarim gains 15/20/25/30/35 armor and magic resist while Spirit of Dread is active
E: Devastating Charge
- Minimum damage; 30/45/60/75/90 (+55% bAD) ⇒ 30/45/60/75/90 (+50% bAD)
- Maximum damage: 60/90/120/150/180 (+110% bAD) ⇒ 60/90/120/150/180 (+100% bAD)
- Minimum knockback: 250 ⇒ 150
- Maximum knockback: 450 ⇒ 350
- Cooldown: 20/19/18/17/16 seconds ⇒ 17 seconds
R: Onslaught of Shadows
- Fear Duration: 0.75-2 seconds based on distance traveled ⇒ 0.75-1.5 seconds based on distance traveled
Q: Null Sphere
- Cooldown: 11/10.5/10/9.5/9 seconds ⇒ 10/9.5/9/8.5/8 seconds
Passive: Sap Magic
- [NEW] Getting hit by large jungle monsters reduces cooldown by 1 second per auto
Q: Bramble Smash
- Base damage: 70/110/150/190/230 (+40% AP) ⇒ 65/110/155/200/245 (+40% AP)
- [NEW] Max health damage: 2/2.25/2.5/2.75/3%
- [NEW] Now deals 20/35/50/65/80 bonus damage to monsters
E: Sapling Toss
- Removed max health damage
- Base damage total: 20/45/70/95/120 ⇒ 45/80/115/150/185 (+40% AP)(+3% tHP)
- Brush damage total: 40/90/140/190/240 ⇒ 75/135/195/255/315 (+80% AP)(+6% tHP)
- Empowered damage does not affect minions
- Mana cost: 60/70/80/90/100 ⇒ 45/55/65/75/85
- Slow: 35% ⇒ 45%
- [NEW] Empowered brush slow amount: 55%
R: Nature’s Grasp
- Missile initial speed: 50 ⇒ 100
- Missile max speed: 650 ⇒ 750
- Missile acceleration: 250 ⇒ 300
- [NEW] Move speed on champion hit: 40/50/60% move speed decaying over 2 seconds
Q: Double Up
- Physical damage: 20/40/60/80/100 (+100% AD)(+35% AP) ⇒ 20/45/70/95/120 (+100% AD)(+35% AP)
- Cast time: 0.25 seconds ⇒ matches basic attack time
- Mana cost: 45 ⇒ 35
- Attack speed: 40/55/70/85/100% ⇒ 50/65/80/95/110%
E: Make it Rain
- Cooldown: 18/16/14/12/10 seconds ⇒ 18/17/16/15/14 seconds
- Full damage: 80/115/150/185/220 (+80% AP) ⇒ 70/100/130/160/190 (+100% AP)
- Slow: 40/45/50/55/60% ⇒ 50% (+4% per 100 AP)
R: Bullet Time
- Bonus critical chance damage: 20% of each wave’s damage ⇒ 30%
E: Tideblesser’s Blessing
- Electrocute only counts as one damage instance
- Attack speed: 0.668 ⇒ 0.721
Passive: Umbra Blades
- Cooldown: 14 seconds ⇒ 13 seconds
W: Ferromancy: Crash Down
- Dismount move speed: 250 ⇒ 280
E: Attract and Repel
- Cooldown: 18/16.25/14.5/12.75/11 seconds ⇒ 15 seconds
Q: Cull the Meek
- Damage: 65/100/135/170/205 (+80% bAD) ⇒ 60/90/120/150/180 (+100% bAD)
- Empowered damage: 100/150/200/250/300 (+120% bAD) ⇒ 90/130/180/220/260 (+140% bAD)
- Bonus AD ratio: 20% ⇒ 25%
- Slow: 50% ⇒ 70%
- Attack damage growth: 3 ⇒ 2.8
- AD ratio: 30/35/40/45/50% ⇒ 25/30/35/40/45%
Q: Chain Lash
- Cooldown: 10/9/8/7/6 seconds ⇒ 11/10/9/8/7 seconds
- Magic resist: 32 ⇒ 28
- Cooldown: 15/14/13/12/11 seconds ⇒ 16/15/14/13/12 seconds
W: Frozen Domain
- Cooldown: 15/14/13/12/11 seconds ⇒ 18/17/16/15/14 seconds
- Attack speed: 0.711 ⇒ 0.68
- Movement speed: 345 ⇒ 340
- Cost: 2800 gold ⇒ 3000 gold
- Attack damage: 40 ⇒ 45
- Ability power: 20 ⇒ 30
- Cost: 650 gold ⇒ 750 gold
- Cost: 2600 gold ⇒ 3000 gold
- Ability power: 65 ⇒ 80
- Ability haste: 10 ⇒ 15