At Worlds 2022, there will be 24 teams fighting for the Summoner’s Cup. Teams will compete over 3 stages lasting for 5 weeks: play-in stage, group stage, and knockout stage.
One week before the group stage, 12 teams who did not qualify for the main event will fight for a chance to advance in the Play-in Stage. Teams were split into 3 pools based on their performance.
- Pool 1 – LPL4, LCK4, LEC3, PCS2
- Pool 2 – LEC4, LCS3, VCS2, LJL1
- Pool 3 – LCO1, TCL1, LLA1, CBLOL1
Then pools will be separated into 2 groups of six, respected to no team from the same region in the same group.
Meanwhile, 12 other teams will take part in Group Stage, using a similar drawing:
- Pool 1 – LPL1, LCK1, LEC1, LCS1
- Pool 2 – LPL2, LCK2, LEC2, PCS1
- Pool 3 – LPL3, LCK3, LCS2, VCS1
Worlds 2022 Play-In Stage will officially start on Sept 29 in Mexico City. Only 12 teams who got the chance to advance to Group Stage will begin to fight on Oct 7 in NYC.